On December 03, 2020, the President of the Republic signed Decree N° 727 on the organization and functioning of the Telecommunications Regulatory Agency (TRA). TRA has to ensure, on behalf of the State of Cameroon, the regulation, control and monitoring of the activities of dealers, network operators and providers of electronic communication services.
For the purposes of its missions, TRA Agency wields the powers of regulation, control, investigation, injunction, coercion and sanction. Particular activities and duties of TRA include:
– ensuring the implementation of laws and regulations in the field of telecommunications and information and communication technologies;
– ensuring that networks open to the public are accessed under objective, transparent and non-discriminatory conditions;
– ensuring healthy and fair competition in the telecommunications and information and communication technology sector;
– sanctioning operators’ failures to fulfil their obligations as well as anti-trust practices;
– defining principles governing the pricing of the services provided;
– reviewing license applications and preparing decisions relating thereto;
– formally issuing declaration receipts;
– defining the conditions and obligations for interconnection and infrastructure sharing;
– issuing an official opinion on all draft laws and regulations relafing to electronic communicatior.s·
– ensuring the assignment and control of the frequency spectrum;
– preparing tender documents for concessions and licences;
– drawing up and managing the numbering plan;
– submitting to the Government any proposals and recommendations for the development and modernization of the telecommunications and information and communication technology sector;
– assigning addressing resources;
– examining files for the approval of terminal equipment and preparing the related decisions;
– issuing approvals;
– ensuring consumer protection;
– performing any other general interest task it may be assigned by the Government in the telecommunications and information and communication technology sector.
The technical aspects of TRA shall be under the supervisory authority of the ministry in charge of Telecommunications; meanwhile the financial aspects shall be under the supervisory authority of the ministry in charge of Finance.
Vanessa Halle, Esq.,
Partner | IP Attorney